Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stained Kitchen cabinets -- what finish?

Posted by gracie01 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 12:19

What would wear and wash better on kitchen cabinets -- wipe on water based poly or tung oil?
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stained Kitchen cabinets -- what finish?

Water based wipe on poly is hands down more durable than oil.
Brush/spray on wbp is more durable than wbp wipe on.
Oil based poly is even more durable than either.
You mentioned stain, follow reccomendation for top coat on stain container.

o

Assuming that you mean 100% pure tung oil, it provides little if any resistance to water, so polyurethane would be a much better choice. Pure tung oil is a wonderful looking finish that is often my first choice on furniture that will be treated with moderate care. It's not too hard to repair, but it will waterspot and is not a great choice for something you want to be able to wash regularly.

"tung oil finish" as seen at the Borg, on the other hand can be almost anything, most commonly an oil varnish or even polyurethane. It may be OK, you have to read the label carefully, but chances are all you are buying is a thinned-down varnish or poly. Might as well use the full strength stuff to build a finish coat more quickly.

I use 3 coats of brush-on either oil or water based, depending on the look I'm after. I'd be afraid that the wipe on material would take many coats to build a scrubbable film.

o

Assuming that you mean 100% pure tung oil, it provides little if any resistance to water, so polyurethane would be a much better choice. Pure tung oil is a wonderful looking finish that is often my first choice on furniture that will be treated with moderate care. It's not too hard to repair, but it will waterspot and is not a great choice for something you want to be able to wash regularly.

"tung oil finish" as seen at the Borg, on the other hand can be almost anything, most commonly an oil varnish or even polyurethane. It may be OK, you have to read the label carefully, but chances are all you are buying is a thinned-down varnish or poly. Might as well use the full strength stuff to build a finish coat more quickly.

I use 3 coats of brush-on either oil or water based, depending on the look I'm after. I'd be afraid that the wipe on material would take many coats to build a scrubbable film.

o

Thank you both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here