Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

Can I switch bottom-mount slides to become floor-mount?

talley_sue_nyc
11 years ago

I want to build a bookcase/cabinet thingie to sit in top of the fridge in my daughter's dorm room. They want to put dishes in it, and I want to play with my pocket-hole jig.

The plan right now is to simply make an outer case and install those slotted shelf standards inside; that gives them maximum flexibility for shelf positioning.

I'd like to give them a drawer to keep silverware and other sorts of stuff in (ketchup packets, bag clips), but I don't have a true woodshop nor do I have a lot of time nor do I want to spend a lot of money.

I want to take a wooden silverware organizer and attach it to drawer slides, and then attach the drawer slides to a shelf. Then they can move the drawer to any position they want. (Best, in my opinion, not to have the drawer be permanent mounted on the bottom--too easy to block it by setting something on the front part of the fridge; I suppose I should worry about counter-weighting, but maybe sticking something in the shelf-support slot above the shelf will work)

Anyway, a floor-mounted drawer slide isn't in stock at Home Depot, I don't think.

Can I take an undermounted drawer slide (designed to attach to the bottom of the drawer and the side of the cabinet), and switch the right one to the left side, which puts the undermount part on the OUTSIDE of the slide mechanism?

I suppose I could attach a vertical piece of wood to the shelf, and then use side-mount slides mounted the normal way--but the undermount/floor mount seems like the fastest way to the functionality I want.