Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staining old tek dining table set

Posted by rosacer (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 15, 09 at 12:09

I want to restore (change color) to my antique dining table. It was stained and at the begining I used to only put tek oil each year, it was not varnished the look was natural oiled. I would like to change the color because with time the table's color had become very light compared to the extensions and the chairs. I had try to find a product that I can use to stain the the set and then use only oil to keep a natural look. The products I found (varathane stain, watco, restore a finish, min wax) have varnish or say I need to put varnish or urethane at the end or the water base as Saman says I need to put lacque or varnish. Is it possible to use one of those products without needing to varnish, lacquer, urethane the furniture? I know I would need to put oil every year, that's the look I'm seeking for.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staining old tek dining table set

"Scandinavian Teak" is usually not oiled, but has a flat sheen, low build lacquer. While you can apply an oil-only finish, it is one of the least protective finishes that you can apply. It has minimal resistance to moisture (it is actually hygroscopic) and over time will slough off and need refreshing. If you try to refresh too often, you can end up with a gummy film built on the surface.

But if that's what you want, you can apply boiled linseed oil. Don't fall into the tung oil cult.

Rather than repeat the litany, see the linked article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oil Finishes

o

Thank you very much for the Oil Finishes link, very interesting information in it.
Now, If that was your dining set (it is a true Scandinavian Teak antique set)and you wanted to stain it what would you do to get a nice look. I'm wory to finish with a cheap made in China look, or to destroy it all, you know. Which kind of stain (water base or oil base?) urethane or varnish? Something easy to appply if possible and that will preserves a classy wood looking.

Thanks again

o

Assuming you don't have spray equipment and space, I suggest making a mix of 1/3 mineral spirits, 1/3 boiled linseed oil, and 1/3 satin non-poly varnish (e.g., Pratt & Lambert #38 or Cabot 8000-series). This is a DIY oil-varnish mix (a heavy bodied "Danish Oil.") Stir thoroughly, wipe on with a rag, wipe off the excess in a few minutes, before the finish starts to get tacky. Reapply in a couple of days. Don't try to build much of a film finish. You'll have to renew every few years. Clean, scuff-sand, and reapply a coat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabot 8002

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here