Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shiny ceiling beams - can I dull them?

Posted by southernstitcher (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 17, 09 at 12:05

In our kitchen remodel, we have the problem of 35 yr old glossy poly'ed knotty pine ceiling beams that of course have a yellow cast. Our new cabinets are knotty alder, and we've pretty well matched the stain to the beams - but that shiny yellow cast I'm afraid is going to look bad once the new kitchen is in.
My husband won't consider painting them, and the cabinet maker said if we did it would likely look terrible because it is knotty pine.
He then suggested that if we took some steel wool or a sanding block to the beams, that would probably dull the poly enough to knock down the yellow cast.
My problem is I have no idea what grade steel wool or sanding block to buy, or if this is even a good idea. Because I have to do this indoors, chemical stripping doesn't seem like a good idea either. I'm also worried a chemical stripper might affect the glue. These aren't real beams, but hollow boxes. And I think if I sand, I'll need a soft sponge because of a little ridge where the pieces join.
Is there something that I could rub on to just dull the poly a bit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shiny ceiling beams - can I dull them?

4/0, it will most likely be marked as #0000 on the package.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here