Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to remove paint from a vintage violin

Posted by tsf999 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 6, 09 at 12:03

Does anyone know how I could remove gold paint from a vintage violin? I recently acquired a nice violin at a garage sale, but the previous owner decided to paint it and use it as decoration. She used some type of gold paint on the trim, peg head, and around the sound holes. Is there any way of removing this paint without ruining the finish underneath?

I'll try to include a picture:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to remove paint from a vintage violin

A lot is going to depend on what kind of paint.

Violins are often finished with varnish, so even paint thinner will have little effect on the finish.

It is likely to need some wax after stripping the paint.

o

I don't hold out much hope that you can remove the gold exclusively. I would try some xylene, and then some acetone, but anything stronger will be sure to remove the varnish as well.
But, there's hope. You can apply some of this finish with a soft cotton cloth. I have a bottle, it's very nice stuff for furniture touch-ups as well.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Violin Varnish

o

You might want to look for a luthier (stringed instrument restorer) in your area for tips, especially if it may have some value as an antique.

o

Being a professional musician for over 40 years, this is not a DIY job. You need to find a quality luthier to see if the paint can be removed.

I would also have it appraised. It could be of value - more than you think.

Enjoy the journey.
eal51 in western CT

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here