Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with table design

Posted by bsspewer (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 11:53

My front load washer & dryer both sit too low. I want to raise them up to a more workable level by building a table for them to sit on, while giving ample room to store clothes baskets underneath. My neighbor has a stash of left over redwood planks that I want to use, but I'm a little unsure of how to brace the design I came up with:

Photobucket

So that's how I want to put the top together. Just planks running horizontal with miter cut planks around the outside border.

How do I build the supporting braces and legs? This would be my first venture into any kind of a furniture construction, but not the first time working with wood or doing any type of construction.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with table design

Well, first of all, you may want to reconsider the top you've proposed. How are you joining the boards in the miters, the outer border, and the field planks? Mortises, spines, biscuits? You might want to consider a European cabinet design (5-sided box)and put a drawer in it. Shear support is most important to prevent collapse due to weight and lateral forces of the machines.

To answer your initial question, gussets are typical for mitigating shear.

o

Well, that's just the top look I wanted. Even though this will be under the washer & dryer, I wanted it to look decent.

I wasn't going to join the planks as much as just screw them into underlying supports. I just am not sure how to setup those beams to support the weight and vibrations.

o

First of all, any built up for a washer/dryer has to have a rim around the top to prevent the machine from moving and falling off.

Second, building it high enough to store laundry baskets should create sufficient height to need a lot of bracing, which will probably take up the 'storage' space.

If you look at laundry room design with built up areas for the washer/dryer, you will see almost all are permanently built into the wall/floor.

There is not much way you can successfully design and build that type of riser with wood.

o

Build a welded steel tubing frame from square stock and clad it with wood any way you want.
You can't get an open front any other way. An open fronted wood stand will lack rack bracing needed for the very heavy and vibration-prone washer.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here