Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry plywood

Posted by allenmichael (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 2, 08 at 11:12

I am planning on using cherry plywood on a rough framed wall . I will be using moldings to create a faux raised panel look.
My question is as to what would be the best manner of attaching? Pin nails, finish nails. Obviously the less obvious the fastner the better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry plywood

There's always construction adhesive.

o

I would attach rough plywood first, then you can nail the cherry ply to it anywhere the fasteners will be hidden by your moldings. This gives the most freedom of where to nail. Only drawback of course, is the increased wall thickness. Alternatively, lay everything out and add blocking at stud plane where you can hide the fasteners.
I don't know how flat your walls are, so I can't say how many or how large the fasteners req'd would be to get it to be solid.
Casey

o

I'd use 18 gauge finish nails. Pins will not hold. Construction adhesive is also a good idea in addition to a mechanical fastener.

o

See if you can get the cherry ply in 1/4" Attach rough ply to the studs, and use both construction adhesive and fasteners concealed behind the moldings.

o

Attach the plywood nails under where the trim will go, then us pin nails and small amount of wood glue for the trim. be sure to keep a wet rag to wipe the glue if it comes out to the finish side before it dries or the stain will not cover good.

Here is a link that might be useful: johnpaint

o

Wait till you see the price for cherry plywood with high grade matched veneers.

Last time I used any it was $80 a sheet, and the matching left a little to be deisred.

o

For a cost savings you could get Birch Ply, and stain it Cherry. Would still look nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here