Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Toning down the red

CEFreeman
10 years ago

Here I am again with another color question!

I've stripped and finished a bunch of 1979 oak cabinets. I gray washed then antiqued them, and I absolutely love them.

Now I'm working on some really gorgeous cherry cabinets that will go into the same space. I realize there is a significant grain difference. I've got the old finish stripped off and absolutely love the natural cherry -- except for the reddish, which comes out if I stain. So clear coating it is. :) But some remain too red. I'd love to "brown" them to be closer to the tone of my lovely oak. (Can't believe I'm saying that after despising the builder grade abomination done to oak!)

Color theory dictates I could add a tiny, tiny bit of green tint to the clear coat, which should translate into a brown.

Am I off base here, or is there a better idea?

I know most of you know the following and are probably tired of this, (So feel free to stop reading now!) but there's always someone ....

Before anyone has the (less than) brilliant quip of "buy matching cabinets," I'm rebuilding from a house fire alone, on a waitress income, and have picked these solid, beautiful cabinets up at reuse centers. Along with most of my building materials, actually. I don't have the luxury of "just" buying matching cabinets. I'm not concerned about matchy-matchy (thank goodness!) but would like the tones to be in keeping. So if that would be all you have to offer, please don't bother. If I could, I still probably wouldn't.

Thanks for your help!
Christine

Comments (8)

• User
    10 years ago

Actually, cherry browns naturally.

Look at the info linked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finishing cherry

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Handymac.
    I'm aware cherry darkens, which is not what I'm necessarily looking for.

The very first paragraph mentions my concern:
    "Although the heartwood is a "salmon" pink with streaks of multiple colors running in it when freshly planed, cherry ages to dark color with reddish brown tones and strong orange/yellow undertones. "

I would like to tone down the red.
    Interesting link, BTW. Thanks for posting it.

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 12:39

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

Your color theory is correct -- add green to tone down the red and shift toward brown.

The "green" that finishers use most often is Raw Umber. However, unless you go to an old-timey paint store, get a can of stain base and have them add some squirts of raw umber UTC (universal tinting colors -- the stuff on the carousel where they mix the paint color), it's not going to say "raw umber" on the label. It might be "light maple," "Van Dyke Walnut," "heritage pecan" or anything else the manufacturer wants to call a pure raw umber stain.

While true greens will work, it's harder to hit. I've used green colored pencils and I have a "green blocker" aerosol that's bright green. It works better for me to reach for the raw umber.

After many failed attempts of trying to get a raw umber from red, blue, yellow, black and white UTCs, I finally just bought a $7 bottle of raw umber UTC. This will last me many lifetimes. You can have some if you want to swing by,.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

The color of stain called _fruitwood_ is in some cases a greenish light brown. I used fruitwood stain from Bartleys (sadly, now defunct) for my white oak cabinets to preserve the white-oak-ness of them and not have them go too golden.
    Casey

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bob's My Uncle, I have a watercolor, tiny tube of raw umber. I have also just read the benefits and joys of the UTC. I'll investigate. :) If you're in the DC/MD/VA area, I'll road trip. I'll bring my own jar.

Hey. Since all I have is HD and Lowe's, if they don't have something that makes sense, an art supply store's tube of Raw Umber oil paint work, wouldn't it?

Casey, I will also look for the fruitwood, perhaps by someone else. Two of the doors I've been stripping (God Bless Citristrip -- can I get a Hell Yeah!) have turned out to be oak. How do you tell if it's red or white, as a matter of fact? It's all pretty light once the stain is sucked out . Give it a light sand and it's really, beautifully light.

I appreciate the info guys. I am excited about my "finds" turning out so well.

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

One manufacturer's fruitwood may not resemble another's at all.

Sorry, I'm about 8 hours west of DC.

This post was edited by bobsmyuncle on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 22:38

• jlittle602
    last year

Could you share photos? Thanks!