Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eggpainter

Old Mahogany Trim Question

eggpainter
12 years ago

Hi, we have a Deck House contemporary built in the mid-70s. Lots of beautiful solid mahogany trim, straight lines, level planes. A few years ago, shortly after we purchased the home, I sanded and refinished most of the trim, all of which looked dry and some of which had sun damage. The wood is beautiful. Acting on poor advice from my local paint store, I applied water based Benjamin Moore clear sealer to the trim for two of the windows in our kitchen. Realizing my mistake because it looked like saran wrap, I applied oil-based Benjamin Moore clear (two coats) satin to the rest of the trim in the house. We are happy with the oil based results, but about six years has passed and it is again looking a bit dry. And I've never liked the water based results, it looks like plastic wrap over dry wood. I've applied furniture oil to both the water based and oil based treatments. In the first case, the oil appears to seep through spots in the water based coating and for the next few days the trim looked leopard-spotted, until it dried up to my utmost relief. In the second case, the furniture oil looked beautiful over the satin oil-based finish, but then it too dried up. How do I get our window trim looking fresh again, in each case? For the water based case, I don't have the time to re-sand and re-finish unless absolutely necessary. Could I use a wiping finish that isn't so plastic looking, maybe with a very slight tint, or will I get leopard spots again (that might be permanent, yikes!)? I've heard good things about gel stains, for instance General Finishes. For the oil based case, could I just brush on another coat of Benjamin Moore oil based finish, maybe with more sheen since the satin finish dulled a bit over time (the color is still nice)? I need to keep the two cases looking as similar as possible, since they are next to each other and I want the window trim throughout the (open design contemporary) house to be consistent. Thanks much!

Comments (2)