Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wood rack / shelving wall - help

Posted by milele (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 9:34

Hello,
I am trying to make a wall to the basement a little more organized. I have a couple of ideas: I would like to use wood, paint it white, needs to be sturdy to carry my jars, need to look organized and not messy, I do not want to spend to much money so wood short cuts are ok.
The inspiration is :
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/302163456219902689/

In my original picture, I started building the support with 2x9, put a p[ine shelf on the top and so on. However I found that the 2x9 are really rough and it would take me too much time on sanding. The original plan called for birch strip on the front to cover the 2x9. I went to HD and bough some birch. I thought that if I glue 2 pieces together I have the support and the look and easy to paint (in the picture they are not glued yet). But I came up to $30 which I think it is crazy for just 2 rows of support. Any suggestion?
How wide the shelf need to be to ok with glass jar weight?
Is there any way to use only one support piece instead of having them glue together? They are 3/4" thick. Would it be still ok?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wood rack / shelving wall - help

The Pinterest picture is high quality shelving that was likely professionally installed and cost several thousand dollars. You won't get close with construction grade lumber and drive yourself crazy in the process.

Pick the best pieces of lumber you can find and accept that.

o

I would like to use wood, paint it white, needs to be sturdy to carry my jars, need to look organized and not messy

Nowhere in there did you say "must be sanded smooth like fine furniture". This is organizing a basement wall to make more storage, not going in your living room.

Find straight boards, as smooth as possible, to fit your space. Paint them white, and build the shelves without the birch facings and the other expensive stuff.

o

I think 3/4-inch-thick is fine for a vertical support. Most boards don't compress or break or sag when weight is on them vertically. As long as they can't slip out of position, I think they'd be fine. Especially if you space them as you have--that's close together.

Or course, you have 2x9 on the bottom. How much do you care about having the width change on the higher rows? You could rationalize it by saying that the lower row has the widest support to create a nice base.

One other difference between what you're doing and what the Pinterest pic is, is this:

In your example, and continuous boards are the VERTICAL ones; in yours, the continuous boards are the horizontal.

I don't know which is better. You'd probably have more sag with a wider span.

As for smoothness--prime and paint one of those 2x9s. See how much the paint smooths it out. This is just "trim and tidy basement storage." And remember that only the front edge wiil really show.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here