Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stain not drying

Posted by deedee-2008 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 9:19

Everything was going smoothly in my project to repaint and restain our staircase to the second floor until I stained the rails and posts. I'm guessing that the wood is poplar; it definitely does not look like oak or maple (house built 1996). Everything in the staircase was just clear-coated with something, not painted or stained. I sanded down the rails and posts to remove the finish, applied a pre-conditioner, and applied one coat of Minwax's oil-based Provincial stain, wiping it down after 15 mins. The directions on the can say to wait overnight to apply poly. Well, after 24hrs of perfect/no humidity weather, excellent ventilation, and even use of a fan on it last night, the finish is still extremely tacky. I went over it a few times with rags and ended up wiping off a significant amount of stain that apparently never sunk in the wood, yet it's still tacky. I've refinished furniture before and never had this problem. What is my next step? Any advice is appreciated since those handrails get alot of use!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stain not drying

OK, I went on Minwax's Q&A site. Apparently, I did not rub away the extra stain hard enough, which left the extra to become tacky. I used mineral spirits to wipe away the stain. Back to square one, I guess.

o

Did you sand off ALL the previous finish or just rought it with sandpaper? MinWax oil based stain will not stain over a finish, it has to be applied to bare wood.

Also, stain has a shelf life, if it is too old, it will not dry properly.

Try getting the stain from a Sherwin Williams paint store, their stock is usually fresher.

o

You know, I can't bet my life that I sanded whatever finish was on the railing. I thought I did, based on my previous work on a table and chairs, but apparently not so maybe. I just bought the stain from HD, so not sure how old it is. I'm still working on removing it with the mineral spirits. Just when I thought it's done, it still feels tacky afterwards. :(

o

You clearly failed to remove all of the existing finish. Were you applying stain to bare poplar, it would have dried to the touch in 2 hours.
I would scrap the liquid stain altogether and use a gel stain. No pre-conditioner is needed.
Casey

o

Thanks everyone. Chalk this up to a learning experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here