Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing a Pre hung mahogany door, need help fast...

Posted by station1 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 07 at 8:49

I am installing this door on Sunday and I need help on how to install this, please reply by the end of today (3:30).

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing a Pre hung mahogany door, need help fast...

Is your framing built? It should be about 1/2" wider than the outside of the pre-hung door frame (or 2" wider than the door width).

You'll need some shims, a level, hammer and finish nails - 3".

Set the pre-hung door centered in the framing with the face frame flush with your drywall. Plumb the hinge side. Place shims and nail through the pre-hung frame and shims into the wall framing. Keep it plumb!

Shim the lock side using the same technique, then the top. It's really pretty easy. All that is left is to set the nails and install the lockset. Good luck.

o

Thanks for the help. This is a 1950 home, and there is a lot of trim (dental tooth, etc.) on the outside of the home. Is this possible to install from the inside so that I do not disturb any of the outside trim? The width might be an issue, I think I have a half inch max on either side, is this to little? How would I go about making it wider? Would this mean I have to cut into the studs and make it wider? Please advise, I do appreciate your help.

o

Sorry I am new at this and just posted this twice. Thanks for the help. This is a 1950 home, and there is a lot of trim (dental tooth, etc.) on the outside of the home. Is this possible to install from the inside so that I do not disturb any of the outside trim? The width might be an issue, I think I have a half inch max on either side, is this to little? How would I go about making it wider? Would this mean I have to cut into the studs and make it wider? Please advise, I do appreciate your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here