Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
both_gw

How do you make quirk bead

both
13 years ago

I have searched and can not find directions on how to make quirk beading for cabinets. I have called two lumber stores and they do not sell it. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!!!

Comments (7)

• bobismyuncle
    13 years ago

Not sure what your application is, but I have a router bit that cuts a quirk edging that you can use on rails & stiles.

(Well you can't use mine, but "second person, active voice, present tense.")

Here is a link that might be useful: edge beading bits

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Applied quirk bed is made by shaping the edge of a board and then cutting the bead free.
    A router can bew used to shape the edge of the board, and then a tablsew or bandsaw are used to cut the bead free from the larger pieces.

Toyu normally can then shape the edge again and make another section of bead.

• someone2010
    13 years ago

Depends on where you want the beads, on the drawer or on the frame.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

If it's a standard router bit size (1/4, 3/8, 1/2") I use the router.
    If it's an odd size, 1/8, 3/16/ 5/16/ 5/8, etc) I use the appropriate molding plane.
    If it's following a curve, I use a 1/16" veining bit on a trammel-jigged router to cut a radiused quirk, a 1/4" roundover for the outer radius of the bead, and hand-carve the inside radius with a gouge. Old-timey way was a "beading stock" (a toothed bead scratcher with a fence.) I haven't acquired a set of those yet.
    Are you asking about a single-sided bead or a 3/4-round bead (beaded on both views of a corner) as that is more difficult to get without a flat or pointed corner.
    Casey

• someone2010
    13 years ago

If you are putting beading around a drawer, a cock bead is a good way to do it and was the way most fine furniture drawers were beaded in the 17th and 18th century. You can make a bead with a router on a board and then cut off the bead plus the channel. Next, route a rabbet the depth of the bead plus channel around all four sides of the drawer and glue it in. This bead is stronger than an incised bead, less likely to chip. Route your rabbet on a scrap piece of board to test for fit.

• both
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all this help! I want to put the bead around the frame of a cabinet with inset cabinet doors and drawers. I will be purchasing the router bit for 1/4 inch or 3/8 and then rip on table saw and cut mitered edges. Thanks again!!!

• someone2010
    13 years ago

The reason I asked if the bead was going around the drawer or the frame was this. If you run a incised bead around the drawer face, then the sides are end grain and are not strong and are subject to chipping out. That's why a bead inlaid into a rabbet is better. If you put a bead around the frame, then it is ok to use an incised bead because there is no end grain. Any way you do it is fine, but these are the generally accepted methods.