Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momwalkin

newbie woodworker needs help w/ first project

momwalkin
13 years ago

I am a mom who has always had a love and appreciation for trees and fine woodworking. I was inspired by the woodworker,Nakashima, to craft a 7ft slightly curved bench of red oak for a school auction project as my first attempt at working with wood. Beginning with a raw slab of oak,the finished product turned out beautiful! The 7th graders woodburned their names and a little "doodle" into the edge (where the bark would have been.) I could not bear to let them woodburn the beautifully, grained flat portion of the wood! The problem occurred when we put on the stainless steel hairpin legs. The wood is tourqued so that the two end legs catacornered to each other are off the ground about a 1/2 inch. My husbands idea is to apply weight to bend the wood. We only have another week before the project is due.We put two legs on each end of the bench and two more legs in the middle,backside of the bench. We thought of adding washers between the legs and wood but he thought 1/2 inch was too much to make up with washers. Any ideas from those with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)