Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moms Old Dresser----Help, Please

Posted by gagesgranny (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 8:14

I have my Moms old dresser that is a lovely piece but needs work. The dresser is like a Golden Oak and would love to keep this color. Most of the dresser is in really good shape but the top is the problem. There are dings in the wood and it looks like a candle has sit too long and actually looks like it burned the top. My goal is to restore it to its original color but to make it prettier on top. Can someone guide me through this process? I have done some woodworking but have never dealt with burn marks on wood. Wish I could post a picture but my car got broken into and they took my camera!!!! (sigh) Hope someone can guide me through this process. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moms Old Dresser----Help, Please

first things first. Wax and water are bare woods enemies, I am continually amazed by how many people still wax their wood with all of the products that are out today. I wipe start by cleaning the surface, 100% mineral spirits, or paint thinner that contains a hundred percent mineral spirts on a lint free cotton cloth should do the trick. next is to remove the finish thats on there, you can sand or strip, and if you know what the clear coat is the latter should generally be easier on a project like that, the "golden oak color" is generally subjective but a brush-on, wipe-off stain works well (minwax has a stain with that color name that works well.) minwax also has a product called wipe-on poly which is a very thin, very eay product to apply. for the record minwax has a 1-800 number which i have found to be very helpful in the past, I was just staining an old louisville slugger and I called them up, talked to a fellow named jim who gave me some pointers that I had not thought of, just an idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here