Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant messy problem - need help!

Posted by spy10021 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 26, 08 at 8:04

This problem doesn't fit perfectly into this forum but since it is a "wood" issue, I'm hoping someone might have a solution!

Yesterday afternoon I oiled my teak patio furniture with Watco Teak Oil (I thought I followed the directions perfectly).

It rained all last night and when I went outside this morning, I saw from afar what appeared to be whitish green mildew-looking (but not mildew) spots/streaks all over the table. When I got close enough to touch it I realized it is covered with whitish gummy residue!

My questions:

1. What did I do wrong? (I suspect I didn't wipe off enough of the oil or perhaps it didn't have time to dry before the pouring rain)

2. How in the world do I clean this giant gummy mess? I started to wipe it with some rages but within a a few seconds found myself holding a giant mess of gummy rags in my hands with little progress.

Would orange oil something else help me cut through this mess? It's still pouring rain, so I guess I can do much until it stop on Sunday.

Thanks!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant messy problem - need help!

(I suspect I didn't wipe off enough of the oil or perhaps it didn't have time to dry before the pouring rain)

Yes and yes. The finish you used is a penetrating oil. The proper application steps are:

1. Apply a heavy coat to flood the surface
2. allow to dwell for several minutes
3. wipe of ALL excess before it starts to dry
4. Buff with a clean rag after wiping
5. Allow at least 24 hours to dry before getting wet

Get a gallon of mineral spirits (low odor works fine) and promptly remove all the failed finish. Get rid of the gum, then get another clean rag soaked in mineral spirits and rub out the entire finish to remove all surface residue. Act fast before the gum hardens. Put furniture out of the rain until you fix this problem. Wait a few days before attempting to re apply the product. Don't put any more product on until you get all the failed finish off the surface. Some of the finish you applied will have penetrated into the wood, this is ok, just make sure you get everything off the surface.

Old bed sheets are the best rags for this. T shirts are the next best choice. Don't use anything that will transfer lint or you'll have another mess to fix.

o
RE: Giant messy problem - need help!

Aidan M - Thank you!! That is great advice and I will definately give it a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here