Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding Sanding Scratches

Posted by mike_kaiser (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 7:52

Although this is technically about flooring, it's a problem that woodworkers face and I know some pretty smart folks hang out in this section...

I've been slowing working on refinishing a small area (~50 sq. ft) of strip, red oak floor. SWMBO has decided on a fairly dark stain so I need to be pretty darned careful with sanding. When I've sanded furniture I've used tricks like looking at the surface at a low angle with a back light or wiping it down with mineral spirits. With a floor it's hard to get my head low enough and I really don't want to be using flammable chemicals in the house.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding Sanding Scratches

Use a high powered flashlight or even an auto garage-type, corded trouble light, and just lay it on the floor and move it around to scan for scratches. You don't need to get your head down low. It helps to do this when it's dark out as you'll have good contrast then.

o

You could use some solvent/thinner for the stain to wipe on a thin coat. That usually reveals scratches that can be sanded out prior to applying the stain. After you get the surface prepared the way you want it, the stain should yield a consistent color.

o

A fluorescent trouble light (single straight tube) can be placed on the surface and then tilted to provide almost a slit with the light washing across the surface.

Defects stand out very well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here