Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a way to thin out the wood stain on my fence?

Posted by stevey629 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 25, 09 at 6:01

I have just recently had a wood stain applied to my new cedar fence. My gripe/problem is that is simply too opaque. I would love for some of the grain to show through. I just wish I would have thought of this before having the fence guys come out to stain my fence. I've lost sleep over thinking about its overbearing monotone. Its an acrylic based opaque stain from sherwin williams, and is under the "woodscapes" line of their exterior opaque stains. I called the guys who stained it and they said they've never had to deal with this sort of retroactive treatment. Bummer. Hopefully this isn't the case.

I really hope there is a thinner that I can apply that will let some of the grain show through without substantially compromising its protection characteristics. I understand that thinning it out will undoubtedly reduce its ability to protect the wood, but I am figuring that re-applying a semi-transparent one might even be in order. Protection and longevity is obviously a high priority, but I'd rather have it look the way I want it to even if it means having to stain/retouch more frequently.

I am looking for a (somewhat) fast and effective solution to getting the stain to appear less opaque. My goal is to achieve a more natural look. I actually like the way a weathered wood looks, so perfection isn't my goal here, again something that just looks a bit more natural. If possible, I'd like to avoid having to sand down every plank. The build of this fence is board on board, and is an overlap design...I'd be sanding for weeks. If this is the only way to get some of the grain to show, then I will just have to live with my mistake and eventually I'll get over it. Im a total rookie when it comes to this sort of thing, so please explain product/technique suggestions as best as you can. I will try to entertain questions in the same fashion. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a way to thin out the wood stain on my fence?

The only ways to remove a finish are mechanical or chemical. Mechanical would include sanding (which doesn't seem practical for a fence) and sand blasting (maybe?). Chemicals would be messy and expensive. You would also be sacrificing the protection afforded by the stain. Generally speaking the more opaque the finish, the more protection it provides.

I'm inclined to think you're just going to have to live with the fence.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here