Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaner ruined my island...re-finishing not working

Posted by baileyandbella (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 2:16

My kitchen island is stained with Varathane and then topped with Polycrylic.

I set a bottle of heavy duty cleaner on it (a degreaser) and it ate through the stain/poly leaving a light colored spot.

I sanded it all down with my palm sander and re-stained the whole top. That spot still looks lighter and when the light hits it, you can see this clear "ring" around the stain.

I am so frustrated....is there any way to fix this? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaner ruined my island...re-finishing not working

"I am so frustrated....is there any way to fix this? Thanks"

Probably only by stripping and re-finishing the entire surface.

Even if you try and use the exact same materials for the repair, it is often very hard to get a perfect match.

The previous finish has penetrated into the wood at least some and altered how it will take stain and finish.

o

Thanks

I was thinking of dabbing on a bit of acrylic craft paint to try and disguise it a bit, would that be OK to do on top of fresh dried stain?

o

baileyandbella ... It will look like you tried to cover up a bad stain repair with paint.

Seriously, you will have to sand the whole top down past the damage caused by the degreaser, then re-stain and apply the finish. Or you have to sand off all the finish and stain the whole top and apply a couple of extra coats to the damaged area to make it the same color as the rest.

Oil-based materials are more durable than the waterbased ones, for kitchen use.

o

What chemicals are in the degreaser? You may have to "condition" the whole surface with the same or similar solvent. Neither stain nor finish will react with the wood if certain residues are on one part and not on the rest of the piece.
Richard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here