Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stain won't take on part of door

Posted by Abbey1930 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 05 at 23:29

I stained a door today, but the stain isn't taking on two small sections of the door. This is the door on my half bathroom in my basement. This is a house built in 1950, so the basement ceiling is low. In order to find a door which would fit, my handyman bought a slab door, and cut it to fit. After he cut it the pre cut hole for the door knob was in the wrong place, so he cut out a new one and plugged the previous hole with a wood plug cut out of the discarded wood. It is this wood plug that won't take the stain. Does anyone have any suggestions for staining this small circular patch? I tried sanding it again but the stain still didn't take. Is there a product I can use which would make the patch take the stain?
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Abbey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stain won't take on part of door

It's probably coated with glue. Most glue won't take stain. If so, this is tough. What kind of glue did he use? You'll need to remove the glue from the surface of the plug. A cabinet scraper might work. Scrape the new piece, then sand it and try it again. A Belt sander or Random orbital sander would do the job, but if you've already stained the rest of the door, it would be hard to get a good match on the newly sanded portion.
Some alcohol based stains will penetrate glue squeese-out, but this would be a long shot and might bring on more problems as the glue usually doesn't stain true to the color that the wood does.
You may be able to find a Colored Permanent Marker that would give you a reasonable match before you put on the final finish.
Good Luck..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here