Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'saw swirls' on my cedar shingle siding -X-posting

Posted by mae919 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 19, 09 at 22:46

We are doing a new build in North Carolina. The exterior of the house will be cedar shingle siding. The plans call for Number 2 Red Cedar. The GC ordered three very large bundles of shingles for me to approve and test my stain color on. The shingles in one of the bundles looks great but the shingles in the other two bundles have "saw swirls" across the shingle. These saw swirls became even more noticeable when I apply the solid stain. Has anyone else had this experience with the saw swirls on the shingle? Thanks. I will try to post a picture later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'saw swirls' on my cedar shingle siding -X-posting

Yep....that's how they get to be shingles and not logs.
The days of the splitter with the froe are long gone.
Linda C

o

linda c - I realize the singles have to be cut with a saw. My question was "Why do some of the singles have "saw swirls" and others do not?" We have a whole bundle of about 500 shingles that do not have saw swirls and two other bundles that do. I did not mean to come across like I though a tree grew in the shape of a shingle and that no sawing was necessary and I do understand if each shingle was hand split the cost would be greatly , and I mean GREATLY increased, that is if you could even find someone who would do the hand splitting. Does anyone else have any ideas that would explain why some of the shingles have the saw swirls and other do not. Appreciate your input. Thanks.

o

You can get saw marks when a saw blade does not have its teeth perfectly aligned when sharpened. So a few teeth cut deeper or shallower kerf (in width) than its neighbors. You can get a similar result if the blade is not running true due to either a warp in the blade or run-out on the arbor. I'm assuming by "swirls" that the saw used for these is a circular saw. Similar things can happen with bandsaw cuts, though these would normally be more straight-line issue than circular ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here