Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountain_lady

redoing old hardwood floors...

mountain_lady
11 years ago

We moved into an old farm house with thick hardwood floors...

In 2 of the rooms they had carpet glued to the floor. we removed the carpet and the floor dont look to bad. other then there is some glue still on the flooring . I know that i have to sand it down. but after i sand the floors what do i up on them?

Comments (6)

• User
    11 years ago

There are several floor products on the market.

MinWax poly for floors(NOT the regular poly), Bona makes several floor finishes as do several paint brands(Olympic/Ben. Moore/etc.).

• mountain_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you! :)

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

If the wood is as I imagine, I'd forego any stain and go right to the floor polyurethane. It should have great patina. To get a preview of what it will look like with varnish only, you can wipe on some mineral spirits and view while it's still wet. Poly will amber a bit more, but it will tell you how it will shine up.

• mountain_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didnt plan on staining them. The color is in some places is a Nice cherry color. They are the tongue and groove thinking almost inch thick. there is no marks in the wood other then some stains from water or whatever. on the rooms that there is still glue on the floor I am sure that once i hit them with the sander I can get the glue off . I just want them to shine up and make it easier to clean. I am also taking the paint off the trim around the doors and crown molding. Some of the doors are rough cut and have 100 plus yrs of paint on them. I know it will take me few yrs to get everything that i want to do with this house. I have pulled down the old cupboard, that is also tongue and groove, to take all the paint off it. Once i get everything done . I am hoping to have the house look like it did in the past. Not that I am going for the same look but very close to it . Just have Never did anything like this so any info will help lots.
    ~Lady~

• rwiegand
    11 years ago

Our house had oil-based poly floors when we moved in, they were trashed anywhere there was much use within four years. I refinished the two most used rooms that were the worst using Bona Traffic, a waterborne finish and the floors still looked like new 10 years later. We then had all the floors professionally refinished using oil polyurethane, having been sold by the flooring guy who insisted it was "just as good" (also a Bona product)so that they'd all look the same and there was obvious wear patterns by three months later when we moved out. The kitchen floor was wet every day for all 10 years it had the waterborne finish and there was never any discoloration or damage. Not sure what axe Olek is grinding, but it's completely inconsistent with my experience. Applying the waterborne finish perfectly is much more difficult than oil, which I expect is why many pros don't like it.

I recently did my workshop floor with "mixed domestic hardwood" and finished it with Bona Amber Seal which popped the figure in the curly and birdseye maple quite nicely and the Bona Traffic HD product. It's had the heck beaten out of it for the last six months with construction and heavy tools being dragged around on it and underneath the grime it's pristine and shiny. Oil poly is beautiful, at least until you actually use it.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

You will not find any floor re-finishers using Minwax products.