Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pantry room shelves

Posted by jscozz (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 22:22

I am planning on building storage shelves on two walls in our pantry room. They will be about 8 ft down one wall and 6 ft on the other (with the corner also). I will be using pre-finished melamine shelves... but I am looking for some plans on how to build a clean looking and strong support system... I do not want much interfering with the open front (no 2x4 under the front edge of each shelf), but I also do not want any sagging of shelves. What is the best way to provide floor to 6' high shelving vertical and side support that is strong, not intrusive and professional looking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pantry room shelves

Brackets that mount under the shelves to the back wall.

Or simply install dividers---like a bookcase.

o

Shelf standards and brackets work pretty well.
Knape & Vogt is one large maker.

o

It sounds like you don't want vertical panels breaking up your shelving spans but adding them would allow you to move the shelves up and down as desired. They will also prevent bowing. You will have to add a lot of undershelf supports without them, which starts taking away from your clean look. We purchased our pantry from Closets Central. They have machined melamine that you install yourself and you save a ton buying direct.

Here is a link that might be useful: Closets Central

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here