Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sanding stair treads

Posted by msdeb123 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 22:19

I have just sanded 3 of my stair treads with a 50 grid sandpaper using a block electric sander, I thought I was suppose to sand down to the bear wood, now after reading your comment, can I now begin to just take of the old shine or do I have to continue to go to the bear wood, will the stain appear different? I have oak treads
msdeb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sanding stair treads

What do you want to do by sanding? Refinish or restain?

50 grit is extremely rough for sanding wood to do either refinish or restain, unless the finish is heavy and you intend to try and restain.

To refinish, sanding with 150 grit is sufficient.

However, the three you have done will look different, so you will need to do all the treads now.

A random orbit sander is much quicker, in my experience that what may be a finish sander by your description.

Use the 50 on all, then use 80 grit, then 120 grit and finally, 150 grit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here