Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candeelyn

staining oak floor

Candeelyn
10 years ago

What is the best product to stain an oak floor in a kitchen? I want a good product but also we live here and fast would be great.. although i won't sacrifice durability.
Any suggestions please???

Comments (4)

• User
    10 years ago

Stain is just color, the finish provides the protection.

I do not believe in stain/finish combinations---all of those have to be a compromise.

Bona, Minwax, and Cabot all make good products, but there are many more. Just buy the product at a paint dealer, not a hardware/home improvement store(many of their products are past the Use By date due to low volume.)

• klem1
    10 years ago

Forgive me but the nature of your question has "first time"wrote all over it. Floor finishing is one of the most laborous and mistake prone jobs the diy will ever incounter. Staining adds another layer so do it only if you realy need the color change. Now some for incouragment and advice you might like. If after researching the project,you decide you need on site hands on assistance,contact the guys at your schools who refinish the gym floors. Chances are they will save money ,do a better job and know best products compared to most contractors. Public school employes are under paid so the extra money will be apreciated.

• Candeelyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have heard about the stain finish combos and I'm not a fan. I don't believe 1 product would be able to do both.
    We did the floor many years ago it's just getting worn in spots and needs redone. products seem to have changed now so that is why I am checking around to see what's out there.
    Thanks I will check into those brands.

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

Yes, the "all in one" products, like Polyshades, sound too good to be true. Several problems with them.

They tend to streak, badly. Ideally toners (finish with color in it) should be sprayed, but you shouldn't really spray poly because the mist will go everywhere as it dries too slowly. The directions say "very light coats" but of course, few people do because they are using the all in one to save time and put on one or two heavy coats. A finishing friend of mine calls Polyshades, "The Worst Thing to Happen to a Can." Even used correctly, they can be difficult to get looking good.

Since the color is in the finish, not in the wood, if you get a scuff or scratch, it not only removes some of the finish but removes an equal portion of the color, leaving a light spot.

Oak is one of the more forgiving woods to stain as long as you apply evenly, keep a wet edge and wipe off the excess.

If you use a separate stain, you need to do a good job sanding. I've seen floors where they used a sander that left "pig tails" and when they used a pigmented stain, the pigment accentuated them and the floor had little spirals of dark spots. Uuuuugly.

But like others said, call in a pro. It's a lot easier to do it right the first time than to have to undo a mess and do it right the second time.