Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water stains on windows

Posted by hopesprings (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 21:22

The previous owners of our house must have left the windows open in rainy weather (crank windows that open outward from one side), as several of them have water stains on them and very little varnish left. Is there an easy way to get the streaks/water stains out of the wood before refinishing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water stains on windows

hope-,
They call them casement windows. I'd do an inspection on the outside and see if you need to re-caulk the outside. That could be part of the cause for water intrusion.

regards, rredogg

o
RE: Water stains on windows

Sometimes you can sand the water marks off if they're not too severe. I've had success using bleach diluted with water. Paint it on the spots and let it sit. Keep it wet. It works pretty well within 15-30 minutes. Rinse it off with a wet rag and let dry, then sand.

You may want to re-varnish with an exterior poly like Zar. The interior/exterior varnishes don't seem to withstand the moisture and UV rays like the purely exterior varnishes do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here