Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
miter slot on Craftsman table saw

Posted by john_al (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 19, 09 at 21:00

My sister is a novice woodworker who lives almost 600 miles away from me. She has a problem with her table saw-the miter slot has some protusions on the surface that interfere with the miter gauge as it slides in the slot. While I have not seen the saw, she sent me pictures and I cannot for the life of me figure what the protusions are for.

It is a Craftsman saw, and I do not know the model number. The protusions are level with the table surface and protrude into the slot. They do not go all the way to the bottom of the slot.

I've not posted here in a long time, and could not find a way to attach a picture.

Is anyone familiar with this?

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: miter slot on Craftsman table saw

This table saw does not have the traditional 3/4" x 3/8" miter slot and uses a very odd 5/8" wide T-slot.

She will need to either file/sand the miter guage or get an adjustable one.

Sears has a long history of making parts that only fit their equipment---after market parts and equipment do not fit.

o

Perhaps you can post those pictures here? Basically you need to upload the to something like Flickr. The hosting site will give you a link. Then you use the html code img src="URL-of-website" to include them in your message. It's really not that hard.

With that said I had a 1950's Craftsman table saw with non-standard miter slots. Instead of the typical 3/4" it was something like 23/32. I bought an aftermarket miter gauge and had to grind the bar down to fit.

o

From what I can tell from the pictures she's sent, the miter gauge itself has a grove running the length on both sides. If you fit the protusions (I don't know what else to call them) into this slot, it would raise the gauge above the table.

If the slot is T-shaped, I can't tell it from the pictures. I can see that the slot appears to be wider than traditional ones.

Thanks,

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here