Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Reattach drawer slide on melamine.

chas045
9 years ago

I have six year old custom made kitchen cabinets. I think they are made with melamine or similar smooth covered material. I have several wide & deep drawers. One was fully loaded with heavy items and one of the fasteners holding a drawer slide blew out.

I am fairly handy with plenty of hardware, tools etc., but I am not experienced with these light particle board type materials. I see that the blown out fastener is a (new to me) one half inch confirmat screw. I have begun reading about working with melamine and see that people often just use similarly wide thread screws like drywall or similar. I also see that confirmat screws (certainly short ones) are not common. Each drawer slide was originally attached with only two confirmat screws. Before reading about melamine etc., I was just going to attach a couple extra screws to each slide.

If I wait until Monday, I can probably reach my cabinet maker and get advice and perhaps help and probably some confimat screws (if necessary) although he is a good drive away. Of course, my wife would appreciate a fix now or sooner. The drawer slides are mounted to melamine cleats. Cleats are drywall screwed and glued to the cabinet sides, also three fourths inch thick, so drilling or screwing depth could be almost 1.5" if necessary. The cleats were made from, or specially drilled with shelf mounting holes (if set vertical) and the spacing is identical to the slide holes which may be convenient except that the holes are not really larger than the pre-drilled holes.

What is a reasonable approach to reattach and perhaps reinforce my other big drawers without making a hash of it? I could always drill new holes in the slide if necessary. Actually, I guess this will all be hidden unless I drill thru a side panel.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus