Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Drawer slide hardware

aliris19
9 years ago

Hi -- I'm new here and not really a woodworker. I can do simple stuff, but no more. I'm a refugee from the Kitchens forum.

I had some nice kitchen cabinets made by a company that has a factory in Mexico. But the people were sort of problematic to deal with and I decided to ask someone to make a bathroom vanity for me here. I requested that he use Blum undermount hardware. However, he used "KV" instead.

The drawers are far more "jiggly" in their sockets than the kitchen cabinetry I am used to. Is this a function of the KV hardware or are they fairly comparable?

Thanks for your opinion about the relative quality of Blum and KV...

Comments (4)

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Both companies make lines of products that range from cheap and, well, cheap to expensive and very good. In my limited experience the high end and low end products from each company are comparable. Comparing at the level of company names doesn't make much sense unless you are matching up similarly positioned products. So if you are comparing one company's $10 glide to the others $50 glide there will almost certainly be a big difference; comparing the $10 glides to each other, not so much.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, rwiegand -- I appreciate therefore the issue isn't brand name but model number. I'll investigate further. Though the bottom line is, it's not working great so I think that's my answer!

Live and learn ...

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Have you looked at the architectural reuse centers for glides?

I like Blum, but quit buying them because they were crazy expensive.

Then I found them at my favorite reuse center for $2.00 each. I didn't immediately find all the parts (the orange drawer clips weren't there) but I found them elsewhere for pretty much nothing. In the case of the drawer clips, I found them attached to orphan drawer boxes. The boxes were (wait for it) $2.00 each.

This reuse center is thorough. If a cabinet they receive is crap, they'll take it apart. Doors, drawers, glides, hinges, etc., and part them out. It's saved me a ton of money.

I realize not everyone has the time nor inclination to dig like I do, but for 42 drawers? It paid for itself -- and my time.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Christine -- it's a great idea and I would do it ... if there were a Reuse center near me. Living in the midst of one of America's highest-RE centers (WLA), even though it also houses some of the most people in America (not unrelated) there's no such store that I know of that's terribly close. :(

I was somewhere south of here, Norwalk perhaps? recently and passed a sign for such a store. I thought "Wow, there's one of these here?!?!" ... but I didn't have time to go in.

On 8/30/14 6:18 AM, CEFreeman wrote: