Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to Get 1 Board Ripped?

Posted by snikcilla (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 19:42

Any suggestions as to where I might go to get one board ripped sawn? 5/4" x 4 ripped down to 5/4" x 3. (4ft long)

(HD / Lowes won't do it. I do not have a table saw, don't know of anyone that does. Don't think it would be very cost efficient to rent one or hire a handyman for this tiny repair project.)

Local lumberyard caters to contractors, would they consider it? Or would a local WoodCraft type store do it for me? Any other thoughts?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to Get 1 Board Ripped?

Do you have a circular saw or know someone who owns one? You can use some clamps and a straightedge as a ripping guide. Make sure the saw and guide are supported underneath. This may mean sticking some 5/4 scraps under the sides.

o

Look up a store called WoodCraft. If there is one in your town, they can do that.

Advertise on Craigs list.

ind a local cabinet shop.

o

Do not expect it for free from a commercial place.

A real lumber yard should be able to do the rip for just a few dollars.

o

Bring me a small plate of brownies or chocolate chip cookies, and I'd barter straight up. I'd get the best of that deal.

o

All great ideas. Thank you all. I knew you guys would have some helpful input.

(bobsmyuncle, if none of them pan out, I'll get workin' on those brownies!)

o

Try looking up a local woodworking club. If it's like ours, you'll find some flannel-shirted retired guy who could probably help you out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Club Directory

o
Speaking of flannel-shirted geezers...

If you have a retirement community near you, they often have a woodshop where I'm sure the brownies will get your board ripped.

o

snikcilla, Where are you located?

o

Look for the nearest home being built, oh wait thats not happing much anymore, sorry!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here