Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darkening a mahogany table top

Posted by nanny2a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 28, 09 at 19:05

I'm refinishing the top of an old mahogany dining table and trying to keep the finished color similar to other furniture pieces in my dining room. So far I've sanded off all the old, darkened finish, removing all the scratches, dings and stain in the process. Then I sanded with an extra fine grit and applied two coats of Minwax mahogany gel stain, wiping well and waiting 24 hours between each coat. The stained top looks lovely, but needs to be slightly deeper to match with the table legs and other furniture pieces. Could I try a glaze at this point, or should I try another coat of the gel? I thought a glaze might add just the right amount of "age" and color to the finish to help it match the other pieces.

And if a glaze is suggested, any particular ones that you'd recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darkening a mahogany table top

Seal coat of shellac, then a very dark stain like "java" will tone the finish darker; not redder, but darker. If the java is not to your liking, you can immediately remove it with paint thinner without interfering with your earlier work, because of the shellac sealer coat.
I use this technique to get depth, and leave some heavier java stain in the moldings and crevices for more simulated age.
Casey

o

Thanks for the tips, Sombreuil, this sounds like a good solution.

o

Sorry to be late on this, but yes. I use a glaze regularly to get a good color match. I say the stain gets you to the right church and the glaze puts you in the right pew. Glazes can tweak the color in the right direction by adding (reinforcing) color or neutralizing unwanted tones.

If you use a gel stain as a glaze and it's drying too fast for you to manipulate, add about a tablespoon of mineral spirits to slow it down. (Assuming you are using an oil-based stain).

The thing to avoid with glazes is leaving it on too thick. It does not have a lot of binder in it and can cause adhesion problems if you have a big glob of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: glazing techniques

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here