Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpowers1_gw

Help with value of woodworking tool!!

kpowers1
15 years ago

Hello-- I am prety new to this forum and hope someone can be of help.

My father passed away a few years ago and he was very much into carpentry...I am just now going through his workshop and need to sell some of these items--However--I have NO IDEA how much to sell them for or where to find any info about these tools---

The tools I have are all pretty vintage --Iamgeussing over 30 years old if not more---but all in great condition and all work great--they include:

Craftsman-Sears and Roebuck--Ban Saw Model Number 103.24289

Craftsman-Sears and Roebuck--Planer Model Number 11320621

Craftsman-Sears and Roebuck--Little Planer Model Number 103.2334Q

Craftsman-Sears and Roebuck--Router Model Number 103.22161

Craftsman-Sears and Roebuck--Drill Press Model Number 103.23640

Could someone tell me the value of these tools or where I can find out the info---I guess I am going to have a garage sale and would like sell for a fair price:))

Thank You

Comments (6)

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

A good starting point would be 1/3 to 1/2 of current replacement value. The problem with Craftsman stuff is the quality has been on a steady descent in the last 45 years, and you current replacement may be worse or no better quality than what you have.

I'm just not a big fan of Craftsman power tools as they have tended to go to the lowest bidder du jour and parts start to become a problem after just a couple of years.

Even quality hand tools have taken a nose-dive in prices. I went to an auction last month and most planes were going for about 1/2 what they would have fetched just 10 years ago. My pet theory is that places like Craig's List and EBay have made the market much more wide and liquid. It's just no longer that tough to find a crispy model #271, for example.

• rockhead515
    15 years ago

You can search completed auctions on ebay.com and/or other auction sites to get an idea of what particular tools are selling for. Even if they don't have the exact model machine you should be able to find something very close.

You can also check out Old Woodworking Tools (link below) I have had some success in the past finding out about older Craftsman power tools I've been given or picked up at a garage sale. It usually goes back much farther than 30 years or so, but it can't hurt to try ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Woodworking Tools

• Jon1270
    15 years ago

It's hard to say much specifically, because some of your model numbers don't turn up anything on google, or turn up something that doesn't fit your description. For example, 103.22161 seems to be a table saw, not a router.

Most old power tools, especially old consumer-grade tools like these, don't hold their value the way fine old hand tools do. My guess is that a vintage craftsman table saw might fetch around $100-$125, a decent benchtop drill press or a belt-driven, six inch jointer perhaps $75, assuming all of this equipment is clean and in good condition. A garage sale may not be the best place to unload them, though.

• skanman14
    15 years ago

word, i would agree. my step dad just went through the exact same scenario with his fathers old tools. its one of those things that you want to be patient about. id really just sell one peice at a time, ebay works but just ask around your area, keep your ears open see who needs what you have and how much they'd be willing to pay for it

• aaa.ron
    13 years ago

Right "keep your ears open see who needs what you have and how much they'd be willing to pay for it"

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Woodworking Plan

• aaa.ron
    13 years ago

woodworking tool is very important for Good work. You can get more info about your tools via Google search. If you are interested to sell your tools then please write down your email ID and I will email you my best price.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Woodworking Plan

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler