Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

wood fence - its a learning experience

Debbie Downer
9 years ago

OK have done woodworking, bookshelf building - some interior trim stuff. But this fence - its on such a huge scale that Im really not sure what Im doing!

This fence has one section next to the house that's 7 feet tall with an actual door in it - the rest is normal 5 and a half foot normal height privacy fence. The 7 foot high section is only 6 feet long, with 3 posts to hold it up - one 4x4 next to the house (but not attached) and 18 inches from that there are two 4 x 6 posts for the doorway (which will be french door type double door), and 1. The posts holding up the tall section seems very slightly wobbly when I whack it with my hand. How can I get it to be more rigid and unmoveable - thinking I need some sort of diagonal braces on it? Or would any of the various metal angles and connectors be of any use in stiffening it up?

These tall posts are set in 4 feet deep concrete so Im not sure why they'd be wobbly at all - I assume because they're 7 feet tall. Should I have done them in 6 x 6 post size?

What would you use for a transparent stain that can be used immediately on green treated wood - I dont want to wait and risk them warping and cracking.

Comments (4)