Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bar chairs too high

Posted by suzie2003 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 18:24

I have three chairs that I love sitting at the peninsula in my kitchen. however, the chairs are too high. There's about four inches of space between the seat of the chair and the underside of the granite overhang. How do I cut down the legs of the chairs so that an adult could sit comfortably at the peninsula? Is there an ideal amount of space that should be between the seat and the counter? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bar chairs too high

4" or so? More important is the comfort of the height of the seat to the countertop. Seat too low causes the elbows to be too high.

Sit at a comfortable table/desk and measure seat to top distance. Use that for shortening the stools.

To shorten the stools, do not measure from the ends of the legs up. Too easy to make a mistake. Determine the new leg length and lake a story stick of that length. Be sure to cut the correct angles on each end.

Then, mark the two outside surfaces of each leg---keeping the correct positioning of the story stick.

Then, mark the inside surfaces. All the four lines on each leg should meet at the correct angle to now cut off the amount necessary. Be sure to allow for casters/etc.

o
RE: bar chairs too high

I can answer this by saying the average chair seat height is 18" and the average table top height is 30" +-1" is generally accepted. So the distance from the seat to the top surface should be about 12" Anything shorter than 6" from the top of the seat to the bottom of the apron is generally considered too little thigh room.

I measure up from the bottom of each leg while the chair is sitting on a known flat reference surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here