Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two Questions About Old House Wood Repair

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 16:37

Just moved into a 1916 home. The beautiful red oak living room floors were refinished perhaps 8 years ago. They still look great--except for a major dent in a visible place where a repairman dropped a hammer. It is in a place where it is not possible to cover it with a rug. Should I try a latex wood filler of epoxy? Any recommendations? The second question is about an original window sash. The sash is in good condition (and I will be working to rehab all the windows rather than replace them). But at one point in the house's history, the window must have been stuck and someone used a screwdriver to force it open. The bottom of the sash is all marked up with such screwdriver holes. Would a wood filler or epoxy also work for this? I would then be painting it white. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two Questions About Old House Wood Repair

Any filler material is going to look as bad as the dent. The other problem is the finish on the floor. If it is poly or a similar finish, spot repairing is almost impossible as poly's do not feather out almost invisibly as do varnishes /etc.

The window sill is a good candidate for filler--and an epoxy that is sandable is an excellant choice.

o
RE: Two Questions About Old House Wood Repair

If the dent is not too deep you can try steaming it out. I've used this method before and it works very well. Click the link for detailed instructions, plus other info that may help.

Good luck with your project ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Floor Doctor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here