Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veneering Structural Doug-Fir Post

Posted by bob_cville (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 07 at 16:19

I'm in the process of redoing my kitchen, which has involved moving walls and installing all new quartersawn red oak cabinets. One of the walls that was moved contained a 4x12 Glu-lam beam and a 4x4 douglas fir support post that has to remain where it is.

I tweaked the kitchen design so that the post is next to the tall wall oven cabinet. My plan is to apply quartersawn red oak veneer to this post to make it blend in with the cabinets.

I have the veneer, I just need to know how to proceed in applying the veneer. I believe it is plain veneer (as opposed to glue backed veneer)

What glue should I use?
Should I trim it to size and then glue it or apply the veneer and then trim the edges flush?
Should I do anything to the doug-fir post before applying the veneer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veneering Structural Doug-Fir Post

I'd suggest wrapping it with 1/4" oak plywood instead of just veneer. Doing so would cause the veneer to crack as the post shrinks and expands seasonally. Good veneer work is always laid over a cross-grain underlayment anyway (which prevents the movement of the substrate from telegraphing). 1/8" plywood is also available if the 1/4" happens to be too bulky.
My last option would be to use solid oak planed to 1/4" thickness. This would have the upside benefit of not having to worry about hiding the plywood edge.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here