Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I hate this question: What kind of wood...

Posted by CEFreeman (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 14:56

is a golden-orange when sanded?

I was given wood out of a probably late 50s, early 60s home. I think it was probably woodwork at once time. Great widths, 12-16", 3/4" stuff. The new owner was getting rid of the stuff in her basement. No, I don't have pics because I lost my cell in the yard somewhere.

Starting to sand it, though, I'm coming up with the weirdest color. Orangey. The grain is prominent in some pieces, and some just .. not.

So based upon your experience, have you come across this?
I was driving down the road where a big beech tree is down, and noticed the inside of the tree was the same color as my sanded wood. Perhaps? Would this have been used in woodwork?

Any WAGs? (Ok, wild-assed guesses?) I'm thinking of some cabinet tops or even my kitchen floor. I have to experiment with stain or just sealing it, but right now it's a weird, weird color.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I hate this question: What kind of wood...

Osage orange? (16" wide would be huge)

o

Well.
nahh.
I think something of that size makes that unlikely, just as you indicated.

I'm thinking something more common, probably. I'm debating what to do with it.

Oh - I found my phone in the yard today. After 4 days and 3 rains, it works. I'll try to get a grain picture tomorrow.

o

Osage orange was my first thought also. Honey locust also has wood that is more orange than most.

IME, beech is quite unstable and difficult to dry well without twisting, splitting, etc. I wouldn't call it orange - more similar to white oak in color.

A photo with grain would be lovely. Ash and some of the oaks would be possible; depending on the finish used and how that colors the wood, there is a range of possibilities.

o

Fir?

o

Ok!
I have to upload these separately, but I finally have some pictures.

o

And this one..

o

What are you going to use it for? Just curious.

o

It's a softwood, either fir or more likely pine.

o

The dark reddish knots sure say pine. The first pic looks like yellow pine. If pine is untouched for 150 years, it gets this dark oxidation on the surface which if sanded is kind of brown; you may see orange.
Casey

o

Oh, shoot. I didn't realize my cell pics were so bad.

I haven't decided where I'm going to use it, but if it is some kind of pine, I might actually put it in my kitchen. I'm still deciding on what I want to use for flooring, and pine is a nice, old look. Particularly with these wide boards.

I'll try new pics just for posterity.

Casey, if I were to use something to oxidize it, would it gray like most pine?

Thanks guys.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here