Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any thing more for outdoor furniture after it's polyurethaned?

Posted by vestirse (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 14:47

My husband and I are purchasing an outdoor sectional that is stained a dark color and polyurethaned. It will sit on a concrete patio in sunny California. Is there anything more I do to protect it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any thing more for outdoor furniture after it's polyurethaned

The poly will peel off. Depending on how much you like to do work, and how new you want the patio furniture to look...you might want to keep it covered when it's not in use.

If you have a wood deck you're successfully maintaining, treat the wood patio furniture the same. Use the same products and process for the cleaning and refinishing. (operative word: successfully)

Too bad that we can't find a dang outdoor finish that's worth a toot. That's one annoyance about living in CA. I honestly can't recommend one, and there are too many to list which I've tried.

o

LoL - really? Which has been the best - best for lack of a better word, since apparently they all failed. I keep hearing people talk about marine spar urethane. Have you tried that? I think I'd have to sand off the poly first to apply it though right? Just putting it on top will just make it peel with the poly I'm guessing.

o

Marine Spar Urethane (generally characterized by Minwax Helmsman) is sort of an oxymoron. Urethane has poor UV resistance, yet it's touted as an outdoor finish. Because it is a long-oil varnish (a higher percentage of oil to resin), it also makes it more soft, flexible, and less water resistant, making it generally unsuitable for indoor or high moisture areas, too. I'm not sure there is a good application for this product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exterior clear finishes

o

My fault, I meant Marine Spar Varnish. Upon further reading, it does not contain urethane. It contains a phenolic resin instead. My husband has been doing some reading and is about ready to throw in the towel and just let the poly peel, then we'll deal with it. Seeing as nothing really works, he says we'll probably be doing the work at regular intervals anyway, and we can just skip the first one this way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here