Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sanded a handrail - can i restain or just poly?

Posted by shorts (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 14:41

I just sanded down a small railing that had been pretty beat up - I only used 220 and got almost all the paint off - Its a shade lighter than the other rails now - should i stain it? or just poly over it? Should I sand again with a heavier grit?
Simple guidance would be great.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sanded a handrail - can i restain or just poly?

You should test an inconspicuous spot. Poly itself will darken the wood quite a bit (unless it is an exceptionally clear water-based formula). Some brands of poly are much darker/more amber than others.

The only way to get color matches is to test. Professionals who are good at color matching carefully test.

o

220 is a fairly fine grit that should be used in the final stages of sanding. For paint removal, use 80 or lower and then work your way up through the grits to 220. Finish as desired.

o

It depends on what you use to stain it with. The problem you have with refinishing is, if you don't get every bit of finish off, you will end up with white spots where the stain doesn't take. Then, when you sand off the spot you will get a dark ring around the spot you just sanded that is difficult to get rid of or blend in. My advice to you would be to get a aerosol can of Mohawk Ultra Classic Toner, in the color you want, and use that after your first coat of finish has dried. Then another coat of two of finish. Pratice on scrap first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here