Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to support kitchen sink when you don't have a sink cabinet?

Posted by slc2053 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 08 at 14:40

We have cabinets from and old kitchen that we've stripped and painted. They are in great shape and we're putting them in a U-shaped kitchen. The problem is that we don't have a sink base per se... but a false sink front with two doors that sits between the two base cabinets beside it. The faux sink base front is 33 inches wide.
Soooooooooooo, what do we do to be able to install a sink and then put granite on that??

Thanks to anyone with any ideas or suggestions..and any photos or "how to's" would be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to support kitchen sink when you don't have a sink cabine

At the very least, you'll need a ledger strip against the wall to support the back of the counter. Hopefully the false front is structurally sound enough to support the front edge of the granite. If you've got that much then you've got essentially the same support structure that you'd have with a complete cabinet.

o

jon1270..thanks for responding...my concern is support for the sink as well as the granite...do I need to build a support "inside" for the sink? Thanks!

o

Well, there are a variety of ways you can support an undermount sink. Sometimes they get glued directly to the underside of the granite, sometimes they are fitted into a sheet of plywood that sits on top of the cabinets. I don't do a lot of kitchen work so I can't easily say which approach will be best for you, but I'd start by figuring out exactly where that sink need to be within the cabinet -- not just laterally but how far back from the front edge to allow a wide enough swath of granite in front, and how far away from the wall to allow room for whatever faucet you're using. Also, figure out whether your particular granite installation will need to have a layer of plywood underneath. Once you know where the sink needs to be, it shouldn't be too hard to imagine a structure that will support it in that position. I don't think there's a single correct way to do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here