Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dazzlingdiamond666

custom cabinet screwed together?

dazzlingdiamond
13 years ago

d custom maple cabinets installed throughout my new home. I went to check on the painter(another horror story) and upon opening a drawer I saw screws on a diagonal from the sides into the front of the cabinet. On top of that they are sticking out NOT flush.I am afraid the fronts are going to crack or something. Shouldn't there be a piece of wood behind the drawer front for the screws and handle/pull to go into? Is this normal? Am I being picky? I spent thousands on this and I think I'm getting "screwed" over! Help!

Comments (14)

• bobismyuncle
    13 years ago

Is this the type of fastening you see? If so, they are common and quite strong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pocket hold joinery

• handymac
    13 years ago

We really need a picture, unless the lonk about pocket hole joinery is what you see.

• dazzlingdiamond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess I worded the question wrong. I have 5 piece mitered drawer fronts. The method they used to secure them to the drawers was by putting 2 screws inside the drawer at 45 degrees in the corners to hold the fronts on. The screws are not countersunk either. Is this the right way to mount these type of drawer fronts? What is the right way to mount them?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• someone2010
    13 years ago

The screws should bottom out in the pocket, otherwise they may pull out in the future. Either the screws are too long or the pockets are too close to the edge. They should not be proud of the surface. Also, any visible holes (like the ones showing on the frame in the above link) should be plugged. I don't use this system, but if I were to, it would be in conjuction with and supplemental to, other joints like mortise and tennon or cope and stick. They seem to like this joint on New Yankee Workshop. Post some pictures, if you can.

• dazzlingdiamond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• someone2010
    13 years ago

Sorry dazzelingdiamond, I did not see your second post before I posted my comment. The correct way would be two screws on the inside of the drawer,straight not angled, counter sunk, supplemented by glue.

• Jon1270
    13 years ago

When someone says "post some pictures," they generally mean you should post pics of the problem you're asking about.

There's no rule that establishes a "correct" way for drawer fronts to be attached. It sounds like yours were attached in a way that's not especially nice, but no laws have been broken. I'd suggest that you ask that the screws be countersunk so they're not sticking out into the drawer.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Looking at the picture, I understand why they had to be angled; if they had been perpendicular, the screw would not have contacted the frame of the drawer front, but the thin panel.
    Casey

• dazzlingdiamond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jon1270 I understand perfectly what post some pictures mean.The house is far away and those are what I have right now.I will take more tonight.Thankyou to everyone who is helping me.I would be lost w/out this information.

• dazzlingdiamond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• someone2010
    13 years ago

If you wanted to put in a liner to hold silverware or such, the screws would make it difficult. I talked to my neighbor who currently makes and installs kitchen cabinets and he said there is usually a gap between the drawer face and the drawer so he puts in a spacer to fill the gap. Then he either shoots nails at an angle to catch the thicker wood of the frame(he likes nails because he can make small adjustments with a rubber mallet) or sometimes uses screws with special small heads which he countersinks at an angle. Then, when he installs the pulls he can drill through the face, the spacer, and the drawer to screw the pulls on and secure the drawer face in place permanently.

• Jon1270
    13 years ago

I don't blame you for being unhappy with that, but fixing it at this point could be problematic. You could have them replace the existing screws with a different type, with smaller heads which could be countersunk, but you'd end up having a lot of paint touch-ups to do.

That said, I don't understand what you meant by, "a piece of wood behind the drawer front for the screws and handle/pull to go into." There aren't any obviously missing parts here, and I don't see any reason to think the drawer fronts will split because of this. The aesthetics of the inside of the drawer are the main issue I see.

• handymac
    13 years ago

I have never seen anything like that. I agree it is pretty unsightly at the least.

What you have is cabinetry that looks high end until you open a door/drawer. I've seen many lower end cabinets with better carcase construction.

Fixing can be done. Hopefully, those screws are not the mechanism for hopding the sides/front/back of the drawers together and are simplt the mechanism for installing the drawer decorative fronts.

There are still so many possible problems and solutions, it seems to me you might be better served to find someone---a cabinet shop or experienced handyperson/hobbiest to look at your situation and recommend/do the fix.

• dazzlingdiamond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just wanted to update every one. We went to the cabinet maker and told him we wanted them fixed. He offered counter sinking the screws or nails.We went with the screws.They look MUCH better. Thank you to everyone who took time to help me.