Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Teak Table is faded already) Any tips?

Posted by alextampa (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 13:31

Guys, my almost brand new teak table looks years old. The sun has faded it so much. I have only had it 3 months or so. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it darker? I do not like to stain things, because of the smell.

Here is a link that might be useful: See The table brand new here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Teak Table is faded already) Any tips?

One of the advantages of teak is that left unfinished, it ages gracefully to a gray (silver) with no care. While you could sand it down and apply a finish, it will be a finish that needs to be regularly renewed (read: at least annually).

Resist the temptation to apply Helmsman Spar Varnish as it will not last more than a few weeks in a sun-rich environment.

o

thanks, I guess i will just except it

o

If you want the new wood look, you must use Smith's Penetrating Epoxy and/or Epifanes Marine Varnish. Sand off the current patina before applying.

o

I'm not familiar with that brand of epoxy, but these would fall into the category of "finish that needs to be regularly renewed" Poke around a marina and look for a boat with a teak brightwork and ask how often they need to refresh it.

If you are in Tampa, FL, you are going to get a lot of sun.

> If you want the new wood look, you must use Smith's Penetrating Epoxy and/or Epifanes Marine Varnish. Sand off the current patina before applying

o

Any kind of finish is going to "renewed" the question becomes how often. I think it was Fine Homebuilding that gave the nod to Epifanes for durability but in the end they're all going to require maintenance.

o

Have you ever seen any boats with teak finished with Smith's Penetrating Epoxy?

It's not going to need to be renewed that often. We've never had to renew it yet. Everything in Fine Woodworking's test, in all climates, looked pretty much perfect after one year; and every other teak finish looked pretty much like c**p.

We have spearguns 15 years old used heavily in California sun and sea, look brand new.

o

As a boat owner, my teak gets 4 coats of Epiphanes twice a year on average. Cetol is another product people like, more of a synthetic finish, but can give teak an orange cast. Simple solution might be to sand it and give it a couple of coats of teak oil on a regular basis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here