Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
smelly woodwork

Posted by mrminrm (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 07 at 13:20

The building where I work has many offices. One of these has built-in bookcases. There is an awful odor that comes out of these bookcases. It smells like vomit - really! The maintenance people say it is not the paint, and the rest of the building is painted in the same paint and it does not smell. The housekeeping dept. has wiped out the cabinet several times, yet the room still smells. I would love this room as my office-any ideas on identifying and removing the smell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: smelly woodwork

I've noticed a similar aroma from unfinished white oak. Do the bookshelves have unseen surfaces that are not finished?

o
RE: smelly woodwork

From what I can tell, everything is made of pine and pine finished plywood. The paint is latex. There are drawers that are painted on the inside, but if you take them out, they are unpainted underneath. Yesterday I scrubbed everything down with clorox and then rinsed with white vinegar/water solution. But the areas that are closed up, like the drawers, still have a faint odor.
I am beginning to think it is something in the resin of the wood and the latex just does not seal it. Does this sound possible? Is there any way to get rid of this smell other than painting?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here