Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to paint chairs black?

Posted by mar_cia (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 12:56

I have some kitchen chairs that are oak stained and finished and there is nothing wrong with them. We moved and the decor is different and I would really like them to be black. I guess from researching that I need to sand before using a primer and painting. The problem is that there are a lot of hard places to get to. These aren't chairs with just straight lines....they have spindles etc. Is there any easier way than sanding...I would somehow have to get in all the little edges etc. If not, I think I might just have to start looking for some black chairs !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to paint chairs black?

You can use a de-glosser - it's the consistence of water. Just wet a rag and wipe them down. This goes by lots of different names - de-glosser, surface conditioner, liquid sandpaper, etc. All paint stores (not DIY) can help you. It's cheap and very easy to use.

o

Thanks Kitty....that sounds easy. I will check it out. In the meantime, I have seen some black chairs at Ikea for $19.99...hmmmm !!

o

Mineral Spirits will take the gloss off the lacquer.
I don't know if sanding is really necessary. I would definitly prime them so the paint will coat evenly.

o

Oxalic will help you to clean up the wood and scuff the finish at the same time. You find this in wood (exterior) cleaning solvents and it is also inexpensive as Barkeeper's Friend sold at super markets (where you find cleansers in cans like comet) Use gloves and clean up the chairs well, then prime and paint. Sand only where the finish is loose or too shiny so the new paint might not stick to it.
Flood makes a product called Wood Cleaner sold at HD.
There is a lot in the gallon container it comes in, but you can clean you deck and all exterior wood with this as well (before painting)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here