Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurenjay_gw

black lacquer touch-up

laurenjay
17 years ago

how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas of black are wearing off.

Comments (11)

• brickeyee
    17 years ago

With black lacquer.
    A little rubbing out afer the repair and it will look as shiney as new.

• laurenjay
    Original Author
    17 years ago

what do you mean "rubbing out" and how do you repair it?

• brickeyee
    17 years ago

You need to make sure what kind of lacquer was used for the finish.
    Lacquer by itself is usually nitrocellulose lacquer.
    If you purchase a quart of lacquer thinner you can test in an inconspicuous place and see if the finish is dissolved by the thinner. If it cleanly dissolves it is nitrocellulose lacquer.
    If it wrinkles up it is more likely a varnish type finish and harder to repair.

For nitrocellulose lacquer you can shop around for black tinted lacquer (BehlenÂs used to have it).
    After cleaning the surface with some paint thinner and allowing it to dry, you use a fine brush and apply thin coats of lacquer to the damaged areas.
    You want a little build of the finish. You may need to add retarder (slows evaporation and setting) to the lacquer to allow brushing.
    After you have covered the damaged areas allow the lacquer to dry about 48 hours.
    If the finish on the furniture is glossy, some 600 grit wet or dry paper, a sanding block, and paraffin oil can be used to level the new area out with the old.
    Go slowly to avoid sanding through, particularly at edges.
    After the area is smooth and level, it will be a semi-gloss finish from the sanding scratches.
    Rottenstone and paraffin oil is then used with a felt block (or a block of wood with some felt glued in to the surface) to polish the lacquer to a high gloss.
    There are faster ways of getting the high gloss using pumice in a couple grits before the rottenstone, but for minor repairs the slowness of using the rottenstone is an advantage.
    If you polish through the new finish, clean with paint thinner and try again with more lacquer.

If the finish is not a nitrocellulose lacquer you need to try and identify it before determining what type of compatible coating you can try and use for the repair.
    Lacquer uses very Âhot solvents that attack most other finishes, so you would typically use something less aggressive to coat with.

• kmealy
    17 years ago

Laurenjay,
    There's no way to answer that question. The color will likely be close, but the gloss level may need to be adjusted.

I carry black lacquer aerosols in gloss, satin, and flat and frequently have to adjust gloss by rubbing or overcoating with a clear lacquer of a gloss level that's closer. Sometimes, you may need to put a light coat over everything.

• thequeenscheese_tiscali_co_uk
    15 years ago

Hello i have a black lacquered coffe table from ILVA (KUBE) and the cats knocked a glass varse on to it chipping it is there any thing i can do to repair it?

• skanman14
    15 years ago

... the exact sme way that laurenjay fixed hers. as mentioned before laquers are a hot slovent and will not play nicely with other finishes, but are relitavly easy to put another coat over itself-they re-wet. so, as mentioned before rub laquer thinner over a small spot and see if it dissolves if it does just put another coat of laquer on top-no worries

• juliaangelen
    15 years ago

Would someone be able to give me brand names of products that I could get at Home Depot, OSH or Lowes? Also, is it cost effective to try to repair or touch up furniture? Sometimes once you buy all the products you would be half way to a new piece of furniture. Thanks!

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

Home Depot or Lowe's -- doubtful.

Guardsman

Wood finisher's Depot

Mohawk Finishing sometimes at better independent paint or woodworking stores.

If it's a really deep chip, shake, spray a little out on a piece of glass and add a drop with a toothpick. Let it dry and repeat if needed, sanding lightly to level between coats, then apply an overall coat.

• gingermw
    9 years ago

I have an old asian style mirror with a stand which is black lacquer with inlaid mother of pearl. It has quite a few chips on the corners and edges. What would be the best product or method of filling those in on a budget?

• Lori Shopping
    2 years ago

@gingermw I'm many hundreds of dollars vested into my initial "small" furniture upcycle (for myself, not to flip). I have never found myself saving any money, or completing a single furniture repair project without first buying LOTS of very expensive products at the specialty woodworkers supply - when truly I just needed a very small amount from each. Now it seems that I have to continue the hobby as my supplies are many, and to use them makes more sense if I do it better with a professional finish (you guessed it), only by having more expensive products or tools to perfect my work. :)

My advice if you don't have a lot to spend [or the added space for a new hobby, and lined up pieces your dreaming to make new again...ha], just hire the pros. It will be done right, and you won't kick yourself 100x over the inability to have hindsight!