Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lullabyf360

Need wood staining help

LullabyF360
10 years ago

Ok, I have had this idea turning over & over in my head recently. As a surprise for my husband, I am wanting to spruce up our bedroom furniture. He works overseas & is gone for a month every other month. So I have the time, just not that many hands to get it done. I will be the only one who is avaliable to work in this project. So I need to know if there is any product out there that does not require hours, or days even, of sanding. I read up on Minwax Polyshades. According to the SITE, you just sand the surface enough to dull the shine, remove sanding dust, & apply as many coats required to reach your desired shade. Has anyone used this? I'm also a little pinched for money. I will need 3-4qts of stain to do both the bed frame & dresser. I'm staining to a darker shade (the furniture color is already a medium mahogany), so I won't be needing to use that many coats. If I can do this for around $50-60, that would awesome. Anymore than that, & I will be gritting my teeth.

Comments (11)

• klem1
    10 years ago

Hi Lullaby. Do you know the meaning of "too much on one's plate". Your yard and garden would fill out 2 ordinary people's day. LOL
    Min-wax is the best choice for a novice but pros don't like it for the same reasons accomplished painters don't like paint by numbers.
    You must also realize that what looks good to some looks cheezy,ugly or otherwise unattractive to others. Poly-shades is about the last resort for refinishing. If your funiture shows grain that you like,have you considered clear coating to retain the appearience? Poly-shades has a look of it's own which only you can say wherther it looks good.
    Regardless what you apply to your funiture,it is important to "solvent clean" the surface before sanding. Solvent cleaning might not involve more than soap and water or it might require other solvents depending on what contaminates are on the surface as well as avoiding solvents that might melt the finish and ruin it. "Liquid sander" is ocasionaly a good choice to both clean AND prep in leu of mechanical or hand sanding.
    Best of luck to you and here's hoping your husband loves the suprise.

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha, yes, I am aware of what it feels like to have so much in front of me. It has become my new normal. I actually feel weird when I find a break.

Anyway, I'm wanting to darken the color of the furniture in our bedroom to match the rest of the room (I would upload pictures, but my camera is having one of its moments). We have a few peices of furniture in our room that is black (TV stand & bookcase). The curtains are black & so are the bed sheets & etc. Our two end tables & the ceiling fan are the dark, rich brown I am hoping to achive. Our bed & dresser have scuff marks, scratches, & some gouches. The scratches are not that deep. Nothing some sand paper won't buff out. The scuff marks I am hoping will be taken care of with either the sand paper or whatever solvent I need to clean it with. As far as the gouches go, is there a type of putty I can use to smooth it out? Like bondo is for vehicles? Another reason I am wanting to restain them is they do not match. They are a few shades off from each other--enough to irk me for the past 3 years, haha.

• klem1
    10 years ago

In your case I believe Poly-Shades is the best product to use. There is indeed a 2 part wood filler quite similar to Bondo but it doesn't stain well,which can be said for most fillers. Choose a filler close to coler you are staining the furniture.

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

Minwax Polyshades has been described as "the worst thing to happen to a can." It's polyurethane with pigment in it. Not quite a varnish and not quite a paint. It is very difficult to get on without streaking and unevenness. Even if it looks good wet, it can turn on you as it cures. To make matters worse, polyurethane does not stick well to other finishes, so it's likely to peel or chip. I would not recommend this to anyone. But if you ignore my advice, get a small can and try it out on an obscure place or a piece of furniture found on the curb.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Polyshades coverage is extremely hard to control, especially in the darker shades, and your furniture will probably end up streaky and blotchy. I've tried it and although I'm a good painter, I couldn't get it to look good.

WAIT until you have time to do a proper job of painting or re-finishing, and for now, give everything it a thorough cleaning, waxing and buffing.

Your husband won't be looking at the furniture.

• klem1
    10 years ago

lazygardens wrote on
    Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 11:45

Polyshades coverage is extremely hard to control, especially in the darker shades, and your furniture will probably end up streaky and blotchy. I've tried it and although I'm a good painter, I couldn't get it to look good.
    WAIT until you have time to do a proper job of painting or re-finishing, and for now, give everything it a thorough cleaning, waxing and buffing.

Your husband won't be looking at the furniture.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    For the most part I agree,esp the last statment but if the funiture is to be refinished at a later date,waxing can make it even more challanging to clean the surface. If the product used to clean and wax contains silicone,it's near certain future refinishing will not go well. I believe failure to instruct a novice to clean the surface accounts for many failed attempts. If One asked similar questions about pieces that were to be handed down through generations,a totaly different response would be called for. I have gone as far as suggesting a person do nothing or consult a professional with piece in hand. I stand by the notion that despite all thier inprefections, single step stain varnish has it's place.
    At any rate that's not the main point I want to make here. IMHO,those who attempt helping new comers should consider what thier goal realy is and offer suggestions with that in mind. I hazzard to guess half the people who come here looking for advice are doing thier project for sense of accomplishment more than to attain prefection. We have drawings,paintings and craft projects given to use by our kids and grandkids who are adults now. We value them not for how they compare but for the sperite in which they were presented. You have probily heard lessons learned the hard way stay with you longer. I can say from experience that is so true. Right or wrong,I felt Lullaby A, Needed somthing to keep her busy. AND B. Want's to make her husband's homecoming exciting in as many way as possiable. AND C. Just maybe rather than feel depressed over not having money to order new furniture,she is making the best of what she has until new stuff is possible( something if the whole world did,it would be wonderful). Now that I have put myself out on a limb,feel free to saw it off behind me because I feel I can still learn a thing or two as well.

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

To clarify:

- Waxed surfaces will make the adhesion even weaker.

- Silicone oiled (Pledge(r) Furniture Polished) surfaces will cause fish-eye. While ugly on a clear finish, it would be extremely ugly on a Polyshades surface. The finish will pull away in craters, taking the color with it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

linked is a photo of an example of what you are trying to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: polyshades gone wrong

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

I am always amazed at the DIY jobs, even those shown on HGTV. None of my customers would ever accept a job from me done that poorly, though many would accept a job done by themselves that was 10 times as bad.

(Maybe the best surprise would be to meet hubby at the door wearing nothing but a smile and flower in her lips :-) )

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Meh, it's comments like that that is the reason why I don't venture to often to the home forums on this site. It makes me feel like I am in the comment section of YouTube. The only difference being cussing & spamming will get you banned.

bobsmyuncle-
    I do that particular suprise all the time. Except, I can't exactly wear nothing, because I am his only way to & from the airport, haha, one really doesn't want to be caught naked & sitting in front of the airport as strict as the TSA is becoming nowadays, haha.

I'm always trying to come up with some new idea that could be passed off as a welcome home present. No need to fall into the routine of skimpy little outfits. He'll know its coming, blah, the surprise is lost. Sometimes he doesn't even get that little extra something when he come homes. Again, falling into the routine of it, takes away the fun. Always expect the unexpected ;)

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Lullaby if you are going to do this, you might consider General Finish gel stain. A lot of folks on the decorating board have used it successfully on cabinets, bathroom vanities, and furniture. Those that are familiar with these type of products (goes on more like a paint than a stain), most all say the GF products are MUCH better than Polyshades. Do a google search for Gardenweb General Finish gel stain and you should find several posts.

Beekeeperswife did an awesome job on a bathroom vanity as well as a bedroom dresser as have several other talented posters. For a darker look, they all seem to prefer Java. Many of the experienced users have posted good directions also. I think for it to be successful, you have to do it in several coats. It is a rub on, wipe off, dry several hours process but can work well for those who are patient. I bet you can do it in a month :). Just do your homework before you start.

You could start a new post in the Home Decorating forum and call out for gel stain users and pictures. They will be happy to share.

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!