Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
caulk--mess up

Posted by larrilee (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 31, 08 at 12:05

I need some help with a little problem. I have recently installed baseboards and I bought the wrong caulk and didn't realize it until I had half of the room done. I bought a clear caulk not realizing you couldn't paint this one, It was right by the paintable one and I grabbed the wrong one. What do I do? Help!!!! I need to be able to paint it..

Thanks,

Larrilee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: caulk--mess up

first check the clear caulk, just because its clear doesn't mean that its not paintable. If its not paintable then the only thing you can do is to remove the caulk.

o

If it's 100% silicone caulk, you will need a paint scraper to remove it. Very simple once it's cured. You may have to sand a wee bit to get the crumbs off the margins. Priming again with some high-adhesion primer (oil or shellac-base) may be in order, but really only if you notice the paint start to "fisheye" (being repelled by the silicone).
Casey

o

Thank you for the advice, I removed the caulk and all is well.

Larrilee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here