Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what will stain fir grain orange, with yellow pulp?

Posted by bullheimer (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 11:54

trying to match the varnish on my old growth fir, but will be happy if i can stain brand new doug fir the same way as my 100yo house. the varnish or shellac on their now will not dissolve in alcohol OR lacquer thinner (which means it's not shellac or lacquer). thanks. anybody ever heard of "copal" varnish? what is it? can you get it? and where? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what will stain fir grain orange, with yellow pulp?

Varnishes are made by cooking an oil with a resin. The result is a new product called varnish. Copal is one such resin. In the renaissance, luthiers used a variety of things, including amber. Today most varnishes are made from urethane, phenolic, or alkyd resins.

The only people that I know use Copal varnish are artists and art restorers to seal paintings. If you do a Google search you will find some places to buy it in small quantities.

o

It will be easier---and probably even less expensive to use shellac. There are several different colors of shellac---if you buy flakes and mix your own---since the shelf life of regular mixed shellac is short. Do a Google on shellac and you will find more info than you need.

If you buy too much, you can always find a woodworker to buy the excess.

o

well i went to Karl's paints. i dunno if it's a chain or not but they actually had quite a few pieces of wood, mostly doug fir, varnished with different kinds of Benjamin Moore products. i saw that with one to three coats, i could get the grain a nice flourescent orange with yellow pulp. i bought three half-pints at about $3 a pop. they are: Stays Clear acrylic poly high gloss 422 00; One Hour Clear Finish Low Lustre 421 00; and Polyurathane Finish High Gloss 428 00. i will try them on some new wood i have. maybe sand the back of the old growth and also a scratch or three on my wood walls. thanks for your help y'all :)

o

Help me out. What do you mean by yellow pulp?

o

the wood that's not the grain. might be using the wrong word but the majority of the wood

o

"early wood" vs. "late wood"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here