Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wainscot kit?

Posted by tim022 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 08 at 9:45

Thinking about doing a wainscot in a newly built entertainment room and saw a few web sites advertizing kits made out of MDF. I'm considering either Wall Panel or Flat Panel and would appreciate it if someone could tell me if they've used this type and how it looks finished. Also since the walls are newly sheetrocked, would i need the flat as opposed to wall panel? Or is flat panel a nicer look? I've perused my local HD and to me it looks cheezy. I'm looking to paint it so i'm not looking for high end.
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wainscot kit?

Just out of curiosity, why would you want a kit? It's unlikely that the room's dimensions are a perfect match for the increments the kit parts come in, so some actual cutting and fitting seems inevitable, at which point it might be cheaper to just buy the necessary moldings and sheet goods separately. If it's going to painted, the skill of the installer probably has a bigger effect on how good it looks than the material does.

o

Thanks for your reply.
The kit contains 4-24x24 panels, 5 stiles, Upper/Lower Rail, cap, and shoe trim. My take is to lay out the full length and adjust either by trimming one panel or all to make the appropriate fit. An 8ft kit costs b/w 110.00 (wall) and 150.00 (flat) and not sure how this compares to buying separately.

o

Here's another option that I used.

Put up your chair rail. Then used decorative molding over your sheet rock for the box look. Much cheaper and easier to do. And it looks really good.

Your trim box is determined by the length of each wall. When you have your wall measurements, you can figure out exactly how larger to make each box. The eye will not be able to tell if a box on one wall is a little smaller (one inch) that another wall.

Once you prime the wood and paint it, nobody will know.

Enjoy the journey.
eal51 in western CT

o

Thanks eal51 - You wouldn't happen to have a picture would you? Thanks again...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here