Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! I put varnish on top of polyurethane

Posted by Slushmonkie (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 9:04

I'm finishing a staircase and I goofed. The trim has been stained and I applied one coat of Varthane satin oil based floor polyurethane. The next day I goofed, and I applied a coat of Pratt and Lambert gloss varnish. What do I do? Sand off the varnish? Put a coat of polyurethane on top of the varnish? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! I put varnish on top of polyurethane

Let it sure completely and then decide.

It can take a week or longer.

o

Don't panic, polyurethane finish is also a varnish. The beauty of varnish is that it should have more than one coat anyway. I'm not familiar with the P&L varnish. Is it thinned with turps or paint thinner? Varnish should be sanded lightly between coats any way. Anything finer than 150 will be OK, I use P-350 between varnish coats. Varnish is just resin dissolved in oil. Poly is just a synthetic resin, I don't know which resin P&L uses. It's probably on the label. The only question is do you prefer gloss, semi-, or matte? Just let each coat get hard before re-coating. I give mine 4-10 days. But I use "old-timey" varnishes. read label

o

Old Pratt & Lambert oil varnish was good stuff; I used a lot of it in the 80's, and their "Tonetic Wood Stains" too! Whatever happened in the ensuing years (formula changes) I don't know. If the poly had some degree of sanding prep, or was very recent it will probably be fine. If the poly was old and hard and had no sanding at all you could get peeling in the next few decades. Oil varnish sticks pretty well to just about anything. It will be as long as a year before the new varnish is dry enough to begin to crawl or peel.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here